Wednesday 3 August 2011

Rupert & the Fig


300 Bay St, Brighton, Victoria
Date: 2.8.11

I wanted to like this place just because of the name, but unfortunately this place is a bit like Brighton itself, a little pretentious. There’s nothing overly wrong with this cafe, it’s just unspectacular and uninspired. For a Tuesday lunch, the service was dreadful. When the pretty waitress got to us she was friendly and full of smiles, but my friend Nicole and I were seconds away from walking out because they just didn’t want to seem to take our order. Our food was nice enough. I wanted to try the chicken balsamic salad, but at $18.50 it just seemed hideously overpriced. And there’s the coffee, my life long love. I like strong coffee, and bitch, you know I like it hot. But the coffee here is just too strong (and I can’t believe I’m actually typing this – never thought I’d write something like that!). Rupert and the Fig? More like Rupert and the disappointing visit.

AMBIENCE:    There’s nothing special about this place except the name. 2 out of 5.

SERVICE:    Friendly but fuck they were slow. It’s never good if you’re going to walk out because they just don’t serve you, but serve the society bitch who walked in ten minutes after you. I suppose that’s why a writer and an actor shouldn’t go out for lunch in fancy areas! 1.5 out of 5.

COFFEE:    Far too strong, there was nothing rounded about the flavours. It just smacked you in the face. 2 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment