Tuesday 2 August 2011

Jerry's Milk Bar


345 Barkly St, Elwood, VIC
Date: 3.8.11

This has been called an Elwood institution, but honestly, in my seven months living locally I hadn’t been before. I’d always heard good things, and read that is was like an old fashioned milk bar inside. I must admit, it’s a stunning looking cafĂ©, and the cakes behind the counter look amazing – but while the outside looks like an old fashioned milk bar, the inside doesn’t. When I think of my childhood I remember glass counters with mixed lollies and chocolate bars. I didn’t see this here, and I would have loved that vibe from a place with milk bar in the title. The service was friendly but slow, with the staff more interested in chatting to themselves or texting. The highlight of my visit was definitely the coffee. This is one of the nicer drops I’ve tasted recently. Strong flavour and very rich and creamy, I’d go again for that.

AMBIENCE:    Cruisey and quite big inside, I even spied a nice area out the back. There’s some lovely art of the walls of this place’s glory days. I think it’s meant to inspire, it just made me feel a little sad I never came during their past reign. 3 out of 5.

SERVICE:    While they may smile and speak nicely to you, they seem to not want to be there. And they’re definitely more interested in what their co-workers or friends did the night before. 2 out 5.

COFFEE:    Their real highlight. This is a good drop, and the second cup gave me quite the buzz – always a good sign. Bold, punchy and tasty. 3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment