Monday 15 August 2011

The Artful Dodger


267 Glenhuntly Rd, Elsternwick
Date: 14.8.11

I walk past this café all the time and have always wanted to try it on for size. Located just across from Elsternwick station, it has the perfect location. It is such an attractive café, the outside area is very inviting, and the inside is funky and modern. I was there in the middle of Melbourne winter and the glare from the glass was a little too much. I’d hate to be there in summer. I really wanted to like this place, but the service lets it down – big time. The waiters have that great skill of walking past you without looking at your table. It took ages for us to order and I had to call them over. Sure the food came out super quick, and while my scrambled eggs were nice they were slightly cold. I get the feeling the food came out so quick because they’re precooking food on a busy Sunday morning. We were left alone again for ages and I had to call someone over once more for my second coffee. Then when we tried to pay the bill, we stood at the counter for a few minutes before one of the four behind the counter even said they’d be with us in a minute. We could have walked out and been a kilometre down the road before they even knew – and my friend is heavily pregnant. Shocking service for a place that is clearly loved, I sense some arrogance. As for the coffee, it was good. The chocolate covered coffee bean that arrived with the coffee was a nice touch, but was lacking from the second cup. The taste is strong and rounded. I’ve had better lately but still really enjoyed this fine drop. I’d be back, but I just don’t have the time to wait to be served.

AMBIENCE:    By the bucket loads my friends. Such a lovely outside area and the inside has a very fresh and inviting feel. That glass worries me though, I think it will be exceptionally glary and hot in summer. 4 out of 5.

SERVICE:    Woeful, and I don’t use that word lightly. They’re smiles when they get to you, but they just don’t get to you often. And the wait at the end to pay the bill was unforgivable. Standing at a counter where four people are all actively trying to ignore you. Wouldn’t it have taken less effort to just serve us? 1 out of 5.

COFFEE:    Good. I have drunk a lot of different coffee recently and this is a nice drop, but certainly not the best, but better than many others. Nice bold, rich flavours. 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment