Friday 19 August 2011

Degraves Espresso Bar


23 Degraves St, Melbourne CBD, Victoria
Date: 17.8.11

I think I could spend a week in Degraves St and I’d be happy, it’s like café heaven. Laneways like this are why I love Melbourne. But the problem with places this wonderful, they will always get customers. Tourists file through and they don’t have to worry about return business. I’m not going to tar every café on this great street with the same brush, just Degraves Espresso Bar. The staff clearly don’t want to be there, and I’d hate to think what the kitchen must look like. Coffee is served with that extra touch of snarl and disdain. When we asked for water it was like we’d just called her mother a whore. And I had a muffin which she said was the last one. It had obviously been there for days as it was stale and dry (hence the need for water). My first cup of coffee was nice, albeit a little too strong. The second coffee was burnt, and it was obvious just looking at it. A barista who cared would certainly never have sent it out. I love the old theatre seating in the café, it looks like it will be an amazing place – hence why so many come through the door. But my recommendation, come to Degraves St, just choose somewhere different.

AMBIENCE:    The strength of this place. It’s the old real estate rule, the worst place in the best street still gets attention. Theatre seating is inspired, shame it doesn’t rub off on the staff. 4 out of 5.

SERVICE:    Resentful. Oh you want more? Rude. Blasé. Clearly second rate. I have a problem with funky places that seem to think they are better than the patrons they are serving. No patrons would equal unemployment. Is politeness really that hard? 1 out of 5.

COFFEE:    The first cup was good, although a little too strong (and this is someone who drinks black coffee like tap water). Second one clearly burnt, why would you send it out? 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment