Tuesday 23 August 2011

Nineteen Squares


31 Blessington St, St Kilda, Victoria
Date: 23.8.11

Just around the corner from Acland Street is this little gem. It was an amazing day in Melbourne with the sun out high. I sat outside for two hours at this café on a winter’s day and even managed to get colour in my face. Now this place is a little ghetto, which is part of the appeal. Old stools with hessian bags as cushion covers and sparse old tables or bread trays and milk crates in sand outside. It sounds vile, but trust me, it has major appeal. Never a fan of ordering at the counter, but the service by the very attractive staff was great. The coffee was nice but admittedly a little cold. The second cup was better and I wanted to like it more than I did. The flavours weren’t bad, just a little standard. But the thing about this place, it is great to just sit back and have some great chats in a very funky little café.

AMBIENCE:    Perfect. Ghetto chic combined with a great location. 4.5 out of 5.

SERVICE:    Counter service but very friendly. Very easy going. 4 out of 5.

COFFEE:    Wish I could give it a higher score. First cup luke warm and the second may have been better but it had a pretty stock standard taste. But my friend did have real chocolate on his cappuccino, so they get a bonus half mark for that. 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment