Friday 12 August 2011

Monk Bodhi Dharma


202 Carlisle St, Balaclava, Victoria
Date: 12.8.11

Being from Sydney I’m not quite used to amazing venues off the beaten track. Subtle is an evil word in my old hometown, but in Melbourne seems all the rage. I’ve been to a pub in a back street where I thought I was going to get mugged, only to find over a hundred people in an amazing venue. The same principle applies here, and I’m not talking about the mugging. Down a laneway behind busy Carlisle St you’ll find this café that looks like nothing on the outside, but instead is a bustling but tiny café. Okay, I’m not a vegetarian and the only thing sustainable in my life is my coffee and Madonna love, but it’s pretty cool they make sustainable foods from scratch. Plus, my bircher was lovely, although slightly heavy on the apple. This place is great but because of the size, there is a big communal table, which I despise, but it’s a small quibble for a great venue. And as for the coffee, divine. Full, rich and flavoursome. I was hanging for that second cup. Very hard to find a fault here, a wonderful café that won’t stay a secret for long.

AMBIENCE:    This tiny and hidden venue was packed and rightly so. Nice tables and seats, even though I’m not a fan of the communal thing. It felt easy to sit, drink coffee and have a nice chat. 4 out of 5.

SERVICE:    Fast and friendly. Clearly they enjoy their workplace and customers reap that benefit. 4 out of 5.

COFFEE:    A special drop indeed. They have their own blends you can take home, and I think I’ll go back to buy some. This is what you want in a coffee, and great flavour and a beautiful after taste. Salivating thinking about it now. 4.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment